Sunday, March 4, 2012

Three Breakfast Cookie Recipes


Years and years ago one of my best friends was working her way through grad school. She worked for a company that made breakfast cookies. At first I thought the idea sounded ridiculous but then after trying an assortment of them and learning that they were not just sugar cookies that you eat for breakfast but flavorful, nutritious, high fiber, no added sugar, well balanced cookies, I was quickly sold. That was until I realized that they were not sold where I lived nor were they Gluten Free for the husband. 

Here are three recipes that appease the gluten free and normal people who fear gluten free as well. Try these babies, you will love them! They are delicious hot out of the oven, but wait you don't have time to make a fresh hot batch every morning? The good news is that they keep well. You can refrigerate them for a few days or wrap each one up individually and store in the freezer. These are also great to throw frozen into lunch bags and by the time it is lunch they are fresh and soft. They would also be a nice addition to your next brunch spread. Our family gets together a few times a year for brunch and while everything is delicious, sometimes you walk away feeling a little heavy and sugar filled. I'm hopeful that these will be accepted into our next Easter brunch :) 

Recipe : The Original Breakfast Cookie
1 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flax seeds (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/3 cup of almond meal or flour (I use raw almonds bought in bulk and processed in my blendtec blender until it is a rough almond flour or meal. This will take a minute or two)
1/2 cup pecans
1 cup dried Craisins
1 large egg
3 ripe bananas, smashed
1/4 cup coconut or canola oil
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Recipe : The Pumpkin Breakfast Cookie
1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
1/2 cup ground flax seed (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup of almond meal or flour (I use raw almonds bought in bulk and processed in my blendtec blender. This will take about a minute or two)
1/2 cup walnuts
1 large egg
1 ripe bananas, smashed 
1 cup of pumpkin puree
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Recipe : The Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookie
1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup of almond meal or flour (I use raw almonds bought in bulk and processed in my blendtec blender. This will take about a minute or two)
1/4 cup natural chunky peanut butter (You can also make your own, my recipe here)
1 Tablespoon honey (optional)
1 large egg
3 ripe bananas, smashed
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Mix all dry or semi dry ingredients together. In another bowl, or if you are lucky enough to have a Blendtec, add all wet ingredients and mix well. Note: if you are not yet comfortable with coconut oil, canola oil will work, or if you want to go extra healthy use applesauce. You can also make these with out the egg if you are trying to go dairy free. They cook up just fine and are a little more crumbly but I myself like the added protein. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Then shape with a cookie scoop or spoon. Mixture will be loose so press the tops down slightly. Bake @350 degrees for 20 minutes. I always find that baking my cookies on parchment papers really does make a difference for the better but if you don't have parchment then just go without. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Wahoo! I can't wait to try these, especially pumpkin! If you decide to make these by the hundreds, I will work for cookies. I'm the speediest at peeling them off the parchment paper to stack them for wrapping. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Your recipes look delicious. I can't wait to try some out! Do you usually bake the cookies the morning you eat them, or make them before and keep them? (Or does it matter?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! I just posted about this recipe on my blog. In Health!
    http://jaimereidskitchen.wordpress.com/2012/12/08/the-original-breakfast-cookie/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine were a little flatter than the pic but the flavor and texture are great! It is a great recipe. Next time raisins and pecans sans chocolate chips


    http://tasteusa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete